Available since April 2022, players can now turn on the VRR feature on PlayStation 5. In this way, we were able to activate even better image quality, in addition to enjoying a high-level performance from the console. If you want to find out how to activate this and also know which games make use of this option, just follow the lines below.
VRR makes abrupt changes in frame rate in a game not result in screen tearing, stuttering or tearing. Therefore, our gameplay becomes more dynamic and beautiful, as the game image is presented in the best possible way.
Of course, not all televisions or monitors have the function, so it’s worth checking if there’s an HDMI 2.1 input on your device.
It is important to note that this function is always active if the console is connected to a TV or monitor compatible with HDMI 2.1 VRR. However, if you want to be sure or just activate manually, just follow the steps below.
- open settings: On your console’s home screen, find the gear icon in the upper right corner and open it;
- find the option: On the system settings screen, scroll down until you find the “Display and Video” option. Access by pressing the X button on the controller;
- find the VRR: On the next screen, find the VRR option just below “Learn more”;
- activate or deactivate: Lastly, you can turn your PlayStation 5 console’s VRR on or off whenever you want.
VRR Compatible Games on PS5
In terms of games, some titles have already received updates to enable VRR to be turned on on PlayStation 5. At the time of publishing this article, these are the compatible games:
- Astro’s Playroom ;
- Call of Duty: Vanguard ;
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War ;
- Deathloop ;
- Destiny 2 ;
- Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition ;
- DIRT 5 ;
- Godfall ;
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered ;
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales ;
- Ratchet & Clank: In Another Dimension ;
- Resident Evil Village ;
- Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands ;
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege ;
- Tribes of Midgard.
You can also force non-VRR compatible games on PS5 to make use of this alternative. Thus, it is possible that improvements occur, but it is worth remembering that visual problems may arise. If this happens, just deactivate it in the same menu presented above.
Turning on VRR on PlayStation 5 for compatible games is useful and should be enjoyed by anyone who can. High-motion games like Ratchet & Clank: Into Another Dimension and Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales are even better using this feature.
On the other hand, it didn’t take long for me to see faulty images when I tested with an incompatible game like Returnal, for example. With that in mind, I don’t suggest using the apply the feature option in this situation.